Even though the Magic Jack Terms of Service refers to an uninstall option within Add/Remove programs, you will find that it does not exist. Stuff like this frustrates me to no end and makes me instantly and irrevocably suspicious. Programs and devices that do not provide a user-friendly method for removal project an attitude of laziness, disrespect, and fly-by-night onto the company that provides them.
Here is what to do if you want to remove MagicJack from your computer forever. I assume you are running Windows XP.
1) Unplug the Magic Jack device from your computer. This should remove the virtual devices that MagicJack installs:
- Disk Drive: YMax MagicJack USB Device
- CD Drive: YMax MagicJack USB Device
- USB: TigerJet USB Composite Device
- USB: Generic USB Hub
- USB: USB Mass Storage Device
Don’t ever plug it back in again.
2) Delete the “mjusbsp” directory from the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserProfileName]\Application Data
3) Delete any MagicJack directories from the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserProfileName]\Local Settings\Application Data
4) Delete any desktop icons
5a) Clean up your registry using a registry cleaning tool. I highly recommend TuneUp Utilities 2008. Among many other features, it will keep your registry sparkling clean.
5b) Clean up your registry manually. Use regedit to locate the HKEY Current User > Talk4Free entries and Delete the Talk4Free Key and all Subkeys.
6) Reboot and you should be all set.
** UPDATES ** – mostly from user posting in the comments
How to uninstall from Windows Vista:
“To uninstall from vista, simply go to the search bar and look up “mjusbsp”. Right click and open explorer. Delete whole folder. Use CCleaner (free) to clean rest up. That easy. Vista isn’t perfect, but things like the search function rock.”
Here is a link to the Magic Jack Customer Service Phone Numbers